Certification applications are processed based on the date your degree was conferred on your official transcript NOT the date you submitted your application.
Grade Point Average (G.P.A.)
All Teacher Candidates (TCs) must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 to be recommended for a teaching license by Rutgers Newark, Department of Urban Education, Office of Teacher Preparation and Certification.
Basic Skills Requirement
All Teacher Candidates (TCs) seeking initial certification must demonstrate basic skills proficiency in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. TCs can do this by meeting the cut scores in the following ways:
- ETS Praxis Core – Reading 156, Math 150, Writing 162
- SAT – Math 570, Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 610 OR Reading Section 30
- ACT – Math 23, English 23 (composite scores are not accepted; each section has to score at least 23)
- GRE – Quantitative 156, Verbal 155
HIB & Anti-Bullying Training
All Teacher Candidates (TCs) seeking initial certification must complete online training OR course-embedded training and produce a certificate of completion.
- 21:300:295 – Child & Adolescent Psychology and the Urban Experience – course-embedded training
- Register for Addressing HIB in Turbulent Times AND NJ’s Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights v2 CLICK TO REGISTER
Praxis Content Area Assessment
All Teacher Candidates must take the Praxis Content Knowledge Exam BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT CLINICAL I APPLICATIONS. All candidates must successfully pass the Praxis Content Exam that aligns with their course of students and desired certification area. To register for the Praxis exam, visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/nj
To learn about the specific test required for your certification area, CLICK HERE
NJ Health & Physiology Requirement
This requirement may be completed by choosing one of the following options:
- Present evidence of basic military training
- Complete a course such as biology, health or nutrition that appears on a regionally accredited 2 or 4-year college/university transcript
Teacher Performance Assessment – edTPA
Specific information regarding the edTPA can be found at www.edtpa.com